Yes I noticed asciidoc is also part of O'Reilly's new html5 based
toolchain, htmlbook.  In earlier discussions with Jason I figured that
it would make sense to move maybe a year or so down the line.  For the
moment docbook5 seems to be working ok.

Currently there aren't good open source tools for doing the pdf
generation (from html5+css3) but they are coming.  Tools like prince
(http://www.princexml.com/) work well but are pricey.  Though you can
use it for non-commercial purposes if you don't mind the prince logo
you get stuck on your document.  I've tried it on the o'reilly
htmlbook output and it does work :-)

I'm sure the open source convertors are on the horizon.