I have two suggestions for getting started: 1) create a small diagram using
DIA that has some of the features you wish to have in your final output;
save the diagram; rename the resulting *.dia to *.zip; unzip and explore.
This might help you see how to programatically generate your desired output.
2) look up VCG. I can't vouch for the link below, but this looks like the
right tool. Visualize Compiler Graphics was a tool available around the
early days of DIA. It translates a text description of a network into a
planar embeded graph.

Good luck.

http://freshmeat.sourceforge.net/projects/vcg