On Sat, Oct 30, 1999 at 11:00:59AM +0200, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Oct 1999, Cyrille Chepelov (home) wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 30 Oct 1999, James Henstridge wrote:
> >
> > > I was more talking of wavy lines as a graphics primitive and wondering
> > > which objects you needed the primitive for.
> >
> > Hmmm, okay, I mis-interpreted your post, sorry.
> >
> > OTOH, Dia has already dozens of types of "boxes with some text inside
> > it". Now, dozens of "special kind of lines", each forking from the
> > archetype. Indeed, there's already a big amount of code duplication in
> > the project. The rationale behind adding a "line geometry" property to
> > every basic object which draws line is to limit a bit that forking.
>
> Yes, this is why the "base classes" element and connection exists.
> The core idea of Dia is to have lots of "specialized" object that do
> exactly what you want in a specific domain. This way, you (the user) don't
> have to use some swiss army style general objects that have five million
> settings of which 99% are illegal for the type of diagram you're drawing.

I do not know if I have misandurstand everything, but I think connection
points for all line objects is a nice feature. Especially on polyline which
does exactly (?) the same as an ordinary line. If that is not possible the
polyline should be replaces with a connection-point object, I think. Whis
might be way out of youre discussion but that is a feature I like anyway. It
would make things LOT easier.

> > > There are already a number of different line objects -- take a look at the
> > > UML sheet for examples.  If you need a wavy connecting line for a
> > > particular type of diagram, it probably makes sense to create a new line
> > > object.

I do not andurstand why all "green points" can act as connectionpoints. Is
there any time which this is not good... ??? At least for the "standard
objects"...

> > And with ~/.dia/shapes, we let the user re-organise her/his sheets the
> > way s/he want.
> Having a user created sheet is something that i'd like. No need to do any
> major changes for this though.

I have one more feature that might be a good thing. That is customized
toolbar. I think it would be nice if I could (easily with drag and drop?)
change the "standard toolbox" to add and withdraw components so that I just
have the objects I need most of the time... It is quite anoying clocking
right right and scroll just for getting the object I use most of the time...
And then click back for another well used object... Is this hard to
implement, with the current code? There should be a new config-file
though...

// Mvh Ola

//                      Ola Lundqvist                      \\
/    [EMAIL PROTECTED]       Björnkärrsgatan 5 A.11   \
|    [EMAIL PROTECTED]           584 36 LINKÖPING         |
\    http://h81.ryd.student.liu.se +46 (0)13-17 69 83       /
\\   UIN/icq: 4912500              +46 (0)70-332 1551      //