I know that it may be too late for dia 0.87, but I have a patch
for the FS objects. It also touches app/disp_callbacks.c in one
small spot to allow Object menus to have submenus. It should not
affect any other objects.

The patch is about 24k uncompressed, so I've put it on the web
rather than attach it. It's at

http://madlab.me.utexas.edu/~dcthomp/dload/dia-FS-010413-1.patch.gz

The Changelog/CVS entry would be
-----
* app/disp_callbacks.c:
   - Allow submenus in DiaMenus.
   - Don't require DiaMenu.title to be non-null (so that
     submenus aren't required to have titles)

* objects/FS/function.c:
   - object menu now has submenus, an almost complete list of
     standard-basis verbs, and a start on nouns.
   - box padding, dash length, and other visual attributes are
     scaled by the font size... eventually font height will be
     a function property.
   - draw functions with smaller font to make initial view hold
     a reasonable number of functions.
-----

This is the second time I've submitted it. If there's something
wrong with it, please let me know so I can fix it.

                David