As I haven't yet gotten a response, I'm just going to keep rambling
until someone corrects me or tells me I'm on the right track...

Would it be a massive faux pas to use one of the available ObjectTypeOps
slots for a callback of my own choice? Specifically, I'm thinking of
assigning it to the 'Alt-click' or 'Lock-click' callback I'm looking
for. The way I'm envisioning it right now, the modifier mask will be
checked for in the modify tool double-click code, and if present, any
callback in the ops struct will be used in preference to the default
properties_show() call.

Anyway, I'll just keep chugging away at this. Looking forward to
swimming in C-land again; it's been a while, and I've missed it, while
being stuck doing Java development for the last year or two.

Thanks,

Lennon Day-Reynolds