-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Andy Carvin
Sent: Tuesday, January 16, 2007 9:51 AM
To: The Digital Divide Network discussion group
Subject: Re: [DDN] Kiosk/Telecenter Numbers Worldwide

That's gonna be a tough one to calculate. There are
definitely statistics, for example, on govt-sanctioned
telecentres in many countries, but it's harder to keep
track of those that don't have government affiliation.
There's also the question of how you count
telecentres. For example, here in the USA, would you
just count telecentres who participate in CTCNet?
Would you count libraries and schools that have public
computer labs? Would you count YMCAs, Boys/Girls
Clubs? Would you count semi-private telecentres that
restrict access to building residents? Etc, etc. At
one point, we added up around 20,000 of these types of
institutions in the US alone, the majority of which
were public libraries with computer labs.

andy