Wow. Even Frederick turned up for this one. :-)

Frederick Noronha [फ़रेदरिक नोरोनया] wrote:
> To my mind, the not-for-profits are not problematic in themselves.
> What *is* problematic though is when they turn into a huge
> self-serving bureaucracy, and more energies go into keeping themselves
> running rather than solving the problem which they were set up to
> tackle in the first place.

On one level, I see the bureaucracy as necessary to keep the
philanthropists/funders happy, because they like to be happy when
tossing money out. But as I wrote somewhere else, much of the paper
chase seems to work like this: (1)Mow lawn. (2) Toss clippings in poor
neighbour's yard. (3) Ask neighbour to submit paperwork and plan of
action to remove said grass such that funding may be disbursed. In case
you are wondering about what the clippings are - think of the effects of
policy. $1 million spent on policy change is worth more than $10 million
in trying to balance a poor policy.

Might be a lot easier to just put the clippings somewhere else, but then
no one gets in the media. Very sad. Whatever would we do without these
solutions and problems to read about?

Then on another level, the bureaucracy also protects itself by assuring
continuity. This, perhaps, derives from everyone's want for stability.
NFPs are not very stable ways to make a living if one keeps doing a good
job. After solving the problems, people have to go find other ways to
pay bills. So it is attractive to some to keep the status quo; I've seen
it in some NFPs. I won't call any names, but I think we all know that
when calls for proposals go out there are a lot of people writing
proposals.
> So, rather than working to make themselves obselete, they should work
> to make themselve self-sustainable, not funding-driven, focussed on
> their mission, and not bureaucratic or self-serving. We needn't throw
> away the baby with the bath-water.

Erm. I think they should make themselves obsolete by solving the problem
- focusing on the mission and not being self-serving. I don't see this
as either/or - I think we're talking about the same thing. And what I
also think is that the dependency on funding helps create the situation.
In a way, proposal writing could be called the intellectual's rationale
for begging. Get a good street corner (social network) and master the
art of proposal writing (pan handling), you're in!

Could many projects be made self-sustaining? Yes, I think so. But would
people make as much money as they do now by working for NFPs? Probably
not. Would they have to? Probably not. I have a tendency to chuckle a
bit when a project is managed in a country where the cost of living is
higher than where the money is supposed to go, as an example. That's
sort of like the grass clippings above, only they write a proposal to
get money so that the people who tossed the clippings get paid to remove
the clippings. I mean - when you step back and look at these systems,
they are grotesquely amusing. :-)

On another level, it is impossible to avoid the necessity of stability
of the people doing the work. Few people can live as non-linear as such
work would require; it requires great sacrifice. The people I respect
the most in NFPs always seem to be barely making ends meet.
> For example, the way in which the not-for-profit Free Software
> movement (less so the Open Source network, which has grown with
> corporate support and in the media spotlight) has grown is a pointer
> to what is possible.

That generalization won't work. Free software/Open Source not-for-profit
projects vary. Consider Ubuntu. Shuttleworth did the initial funding,
and while I haven't stayed on top of it I do know that he at least
threatened to pull funding unless the business running the distribution
became self-sustaining. That's a brilliant example, but it was because
Shuttleworth Said So. To balance that, well - there are plenty of failed
NFP Free Software/Open Source examples as well. I know for a fact that
Latin America and the Caribbean has had a fair share of failures; part
of that was simply because no funding was available or because people
stuck to their guns and didn't 'sell out'. I could name names and point
fingers, but that is of no use. I've been involved with studies on Free
Software/Open Source in the region as well as NFPs - and I've also been
involved in NFPs which were in other regions or global.

I advocate Free Software and Open Source, as well as Open Content and
Open Standards - but I must say that they are by no means a great
example of how things should be done. A few, yes. Most? No.

There is no silver bullet, but there are plenty of guns.

--
Taran Rampersad
Presently in: San Fernando, Trinidad and Tobago

Pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/knowprose/

"Criticize by creating." — Michelangelo
"The present is theirs; the future, for which I really worked, is mine." -
Nikola Tesla

              • ... Norbert Bollow
              • ... Joe Beckmann
              • ... Taran Rampersad
              • ... John Hibbs
              • ... Pamela McLean
              • ... John Hibbs
      • ... Taran Rampersad
        • ... tom abeles
          • ... Taran Rampersad
            • ... Frederick Noronha [फ़र ेदरिक नोर ोनया]
              • ... Taran Rampersad
              • ... Joe Beckmann
            • ... Don Cameron
    • Re... Taran Rampersad