Dear Fred, et al,

First off, hi Fred, how's it going? ;-)

One approach to consider, that we implemented under our RTEC, is Learn-and-Earn programs, where parents earn a computer, by learning to use it. That way the distribution of computers could potentially be tied to other parent and family involvement goals, objectives and activities of a school or district.

The challenge, of course, is to support a during or after-school/out-of-school adult ed computer training program. The LINCT Coalition's approach to Learn and Earn is to develop an exchange of "time dollars", where people volunteer to do useful things for each other and the community and earn "time dollars" for that work, that can be exchanged for some help or service that they may need themselves. So folks could volunteer to teach classes, participants could earn time dollars by participating in classes, etc. This can necessitate finding a wider range of potential volunteer activities beyond computer training and computer use, to create a local, community "time dollar" economy.

However, Learn and Earn programs have been established without attempting to implement a full "time dollars" approach as well.

It is definitely more work than either just distributing computers, or working through a nonprofit for distribution (though the nonprofit could, of course, run a Learn and Earn program itself).

Some advantages of Learn and Earn, imho, are: (1) opportunities to engage with parents/families over time during the training phase (the "Learn" part of Learn and Earn); (2) opportunity to make sure that parents and other adults feel capable and cmopetent in using a computer that they "Earn" through training; (3) opportunity over the course of the training to ensure that the computer is in good working condition before it goes home with the parent, adult or youth; and (4) fostering a positive sense of accomplishment in "earning" a computer by learning to use it.

Just a thought.

In Peace,
Kevin Rocap
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Fred Mindlin wrote:

This discussion is near the heart of this list's concerns, I believe. It's about a concrete program to distribute surplus equipment to those who need it which is being hampered rather than helped.

We are working now to develop a program for distributing computer equipment from the school district's surplus to parents in our local community who would not otherwise be able to afford a computer. The biggest obstacle is the fear that a direct donation from school to home would incur support responsibilities for the school district, already straining to meet its internal support needs.

We are hoping to "triangulate" the relationship with a non-profit as the direct recipient of the donation, and to help that organization find a way to develop the support program.

Anyone dealing with anything similar who might have suggestions or insights?

Thanks for any help you can give.
Regards, Fred

--
Fred Mindlin, Project Manager
PVUSD Technology & Curriculum Integration

"Intelligence is knowing what to do when you don't know what to do."
--John Holt