Dear Friends:

 Christmas and the New Year are occasions for joy and happiness. But
 unfortunately the earthquake (which did not cause much damage in my city)
 and the tsunami that followed it, which had devastated the lives of tens of
 thousands of people in my home state and neighbouring states in India as
 well as millions in South and South East Asia have rudely interrupted the
 season of joy and merriment. 14,000 people have lost their lives
 according to BBC. The figure may go up. Millions have lost their homes and
 possessions.

 Chennai is coming back to normal. The government has started to deal with
the situation with some seriousness. But the Met office has issued a
warning  that there may be another tsunami attack any time. What have we
done to deserve Nature's fury of such intensity, I wonder.

Arun

 Dear David and friends at First Voice International:

 We appreciate your concern. The earthquake at 0640 yesterday and the
tsunami that followed after a couple of hours have devastaed the state of
Tamil Nadu and Pondicherry. There has been heavy loss of property and
possessions in
many coastal villages (including Veerampattinam and Nallavadu). One of our
villages, Moorthikuppam, is completly inundated and there could be a few
deaths. Many fishermen who went into the sea at Rameswaram, Mandapam,
Thankatchimadam, etc. are yet to return. We are constantly monitoring the
situation through all communication channels. Fortunately, all our
knowledge centres are safe although some of them are surrounded by water.
Our staff and volunteers in the field stations are also safe.

Arun