From: "Ken Callaghan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "The Digital Divide Network discussion group"<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: [DDN] ICT intiatives in Education
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 12:42:58 -0000

Dear Geeta

Maybe I can help a little by introducing you to a new initiative now being
trialled in Northern Ireland

Chalkbytes is an interactive learning facility being developed in Northern
Ireland, designed to provide educational opportunities through our
interactive website. We have received £100 000 funding to develop the
website and trial the project.

On this website schools who register can allow their pupils to explore
various interactive learning zones. At the minute one zone has been
developed and two more are now being constructed by our web design company
in New Zealand.

Ten schools have now been identified to trial the website. Three are in
Northern Ireland, three in the Republic of Ireland, three in South Africa
and one in India.

However the aim of Chalkbytes is not to give children new lesson plans or
curriculum content, although that is part of what will be going on. The
aim is to introduce children in one part of the world to their
counterparts in other countries. Children will be able to share cultural
and personal experiences, and exchange visits will be organized. We are
already planning such an exchange in September when children from South
Africa will be coming to Northern Ireland.

The website is not open to the public as yet, and as I am not on my own
computer I can't remember the URL. However, if you are interested in
viewing the trial page I will be happy to send this to you later.

Please feel free to contact me if you require more information.

Sincerely

Ken Callaghan

Digital Communities Project Manager
c/o Belfast Education & Library Board