This is an interesting discussion covering many topics in one thread.
But I have a suggestion for Jude - if you are trying to give a simple
explanation of RSS, don't use the word "metadata" and especially not
without an attempt to define it. In your enthusiasm you confound the
problem instead of addressing it. If someone does not understand RSS
it is unlikely they will understand that term.

So here's my attempt to help Pamela, and other readers of the list:

DAVE'S RSS PRIMER

An RSS feed is really a list of the information about a particular
page of a website. Because it is usually a digest - as little as the
titles or headlines of the stories - it can be scanned very quickly in
a newsreader, a program which serves as a small browser of these
lists. Like an email program, the newsreader also keeps track of which
items you have already read, and often lets you know when there are
additions to the list since the last time you read it. The newsreader
usually has two windows - one with a list of all the sites whose feeds
you are monitoring, and a second which displays the headline list when
you click on the site name in the first window. When you see a
headline you are interested in, you click on that headline and it
opens the complete story, usually in your regular browser's window.

You subscribe to a feed either by dragging the orange button that you
see on the page into your newsreader, or by copying the URL that it
links to (copy link location, usually a right click on the button) and
then pasting it into a dialog box that the newsreader provides for
adding new feeds.

If you simply click on one of those orange buttons, the XML file,
which the newsreader uses to show headlines, will open up in your
browser - giving you a sudden look at the heart of the system. This is
just a text file, with code surrounding the headline and other
information, often an excerpt. It may include the full text of every
item. Some people like to have the full story included in the feed
itself, since they can read the whole item in their newsreader without
opening it up in a browser.

In recent months the word podcast has come into the RSS world. It is
used fairly loosely - Andy Carvin is using it to refer to either the
uploading of an audio file to a server - "to podcast" - or the audio
file itself - "a podcast" - which is most often an mp3 file but can
also be a wav file or any other audio format.

But if you find a website offering a podcast, it will often be an RSS
feed with mp3 enclosures. All this means is that one or more of those
items in the list will have not just a title but an enclosure tag,
referring to an mp3 file. If you were to open that XML file in your
browser and look at it, you would see the word "enclosure" there
amidst all the code for each mp3 file that is in the feed.

Why is this useful? Because you can subscribe to a podcast feed with a
specialized version of a newsreader that is generally called an
iPodder. That little program will automatically do the following:

Periodically load the XML file from the website
Find the enclosure tags
Go to the website that supplied the XML file
Download the mp3's
AND load them into your iPod.

Now you are not even scanning the newsfeeds for items of interest.
It's more like having your own assistant who is checking with all your
favorite radio stations and loading up your iPod with anything new, so
that you have it ready for your morning commute or your trip to the
gym. These "radio stations" can in reality be any individuals who can
record an audio message and upload it to a website and make sure their
RSS feed puts the audio file information in an enclosure. Or  they can
be actual radio broadcasts that are being made available in this
format by radio outlets, as many are beginning to do - "On the Media"
from NPR recently announced they would provide a podcast feed.

If this all sounds a little complicated, it's because it is. No one
has yet come up with a simple application for the podcast producer
that can do the recording, the encoding (I didn't even mention the
need for mp3 tags - similar to album, artist, genre - that are
necessary to prevent the file from being lost in the thousands of
songs on an iPod), the uploading, the generation of a feed with
enclosures. For the listener/subscriber, iPodder programs are getting
better, and newsreaders are starting to incorporate the same
capability, but it still takes some headscratching to get it all
working properly.

So for now, if someone wants to make a regular podcast available, best
practice would be to provide both the podcast feed with enclosures
(the XML file) and a direct link to the mp3, so people wishing to
simply download and listen to the file can do so. This direct link
method has been around a long time, long before the words "podcast" or
"RSS enclosures". Call it a podcast if you like - it sounds catchy.

Where is all this going? Enclosures can enclose any kind of file. They
are already being used for video clips and bittorrent files (an
explanation of bittorrent will have to wait for another day). So media
producers will have a new method of distribution that bypasses the
broadcast and cablecast sources completely. You will be able to create
your own "channels" by selecting and subscribing to feeds to be loaded
to your VideoPod.

This has the potential of revolutionizing and decentralizing
communications of all kinds. But readers of this list will be quick to
realize the equal potential of widening the digital divide. We would
need ubiquitous broadband, simple and cheap tools, and widespread
knowhow to distribute this technology evenly. For this vision of
universal unmediated person to person media to be realized (and the
first crop of videobloggers are evangelists for this) we would have to
be living on a far different planet.

And on that note I thank you for your patience, and wish you good night.

With dreams of narrowing the gap
Dave Pentecost

--
The Daily Glyph http://www.gomaya.com/glyph