At 5:13 PM +1300 1/23/05, Nicki Gemmell wrote:
Hi Andy, Not trying to be too difficult here, BUT, for many people not is the States, asking us to call a US phone number is going to cost money.
How about setting up a gmail account and asking for mp3 attachments (a la
Adam Curry) or asking people to ftp mp3 links to their own or even your
website?

First a wee bit background to put this in context. (1) I lived outside of the U.S for twenty years and know something about the cost of phone calls. (2) For almost ten years we had a software capability that allowed anyone to make an ordinary phone call and the voice was automatically uploaded and attached to a web page that anyone who could type could create for himself or herself (3) efforts to affordably link the phone to the Net are something I salute "body and soul".

Now the "but".....sent with a smile and a hug....

One of my pet peeve's is about reasonably well-off, technically capable individuals who resist making international phone calls for purposes such as Andy has outlined. It seems to me they ignore the additional costs - in the most precious of all commodities - (time). How much *additional* time does it take for Andy to accept MP3 files internetted to him? And how much money the phone call actually cost? (European rates to the U.S, by prepaid phone cards, are a few cents per minute;slightly more to East Asia and Latin America. Few places on the planet cost more than U.S.0.30 cents per minute. A five minute call thus costs less than US$1.50.

For me, the monetary cost is not nearly as important as the work to complete the circle that (a) phones are ubiquitous, reliable, friendly, and in except in rare cases, affordable (b) linking them, affordably, with blogs, email, RSS, etc. is crucial - that is if we intend to have an impact on the five billion who have never touched a keyboard.

Hugs,