Libraries have been managing content since they came into being. The
best example of a content management system is the card catalog, now the
online public access catalog - the call number is the address where the
item lives, and the subject headings are the various ways you organize
the materials so you can find a book or video looking under numerous
headings.

I did a quick search of articles and found this one that talks about a
system of organizing not just web site content but other internal tools.
Don't forget to look into this field before you start developing your
own management systems - there may already be something out there!

Title: Creating an Internal Content Management System ,  By: Sennema,
Greg, Computers in Libraries, 10417915, Jan2004, Vol. 24, Issue 1
<snip>"In recent years, many libraries have created dynamic Web sites
that are database-driven, that is, maintained and populated with content
stored within what can be loosely termed a content management system
(CMS). In 2001, Jed Koops, the Hekman Library systems programmer, and I
created a CMS called Hobbes (library staff liked the play on the words
"Calvin and Hobbes"). Since then, Hobbes has grown into a hybrid of CMS
and intranet to include not only Web site content, but also a variety of
internal tools used by librarians to help them complete some of their
daily tasks."
 <snip>"Hobbes is a Web-based tool that uses Common Gateway Interface
(CGI) scripts written in Perl to store, query, and return results from
data stored in a series of related SQL tables. Because it is Web-based,
librarians can easily manage data without knowing Perl or SQL and can be
authenticated into the system using the college's existing online
directory"

Siobhan Champ-Blackwell, MSLIS
Community Outreach Liaison
National Network of Libraries of Medicine - MidContinental Region
Creighton University Health Sciences Library
2500 California Plaza
Omaha, NE 68178
402-280-4156/800-338-7657
[EMAIL PROTECTED]