Thank you Paul for such a great endorsement. I am a producer for
Thirteen/WNET's Educational Technologies Unit and produced Thirteen's Ed
Online Theme for February (http://www.thirteen.org/edonline/) and the
education section of the Slavery and the Making of America Web site.
http://www.pbs.org/wnet/slavery/teachers/index.html

Tomorrow night the documentary airs nationally on PBS stations (contact
your local stations for times). And today we launched the Virtual Museum
portion of the Web site where four student groups curated exhibits using
donated images from some museums that are members in the Association of
African American Museums. We gave them a lot of freedom in how they
wanted to create their exhibit and as you read their rationale and see
their work I think you'll agree that what they have created is
phenomenal - http://www.pbs.org/wnet/slavery/teachers/virtual.html.

Below is an more information about the series and the Web site.

Hope you enjoy the resources as much as I enjoyed working on this
project.

Narrated by Morgan Freeman, SLAVERY AND THE MAKING OF AMERICA reveals
remarkable stories of individual slaves who refused to concede their
culture, character, or spirit to the system that persecuted them.
Throughout the telling of these stories this groundbreaking series
chronicles the institution of American slavery from its origins in 1619
through the arrival of the first 11 slaves in the northern colonies, the
American Revolution, the Civil War, the adoption of the 13th Amendment
and Reconstruction. With such unprecedented breadth come entirely new
perspectives on and facts about slavery. These new perspectives
challenge many long-held notions (such as the idea that slavery was
strictly a southern institution; it was, in fact a national institution)
and highlight contradictions of a country that was founded on the
principle of "liberty and justice for all" but embraced slavery.

There is a wonderful companion Web site
(http://www.pbs.org/wnet/slavery/) to this program that shouldn't be
missed. Take, for example, the K-12 LEARNING section
(http://www.pbs.org/wnet/slavery/teachers/index.html) of the site. This
section of the SLAVERY AND THE MAKING OF AMERICA Web site was created in
close concert with American History and Social Studies teachers. A
recurring topic from these advisors was to develop projects and
activities that help students take on the many different perspectives of
people involved in slavery in order to better understand the climate in
which slavery existed. This section of the site -- with historical
fiction for grades 3-12, lesson plans for grades 5-12, primary source
documents, and a Virtual Museum with contributions from African-American
museums across the country and exhibits curated by students -- offers a
rich array of resources suggested by teachers just like you.

SLAVERY AND THE MAKING OF AMERICA and the companion Web site are a
production of Thirteen/WNET New York. Thirteen/WNET's online education
resources are available at http://www.thirteen.org/edonline/.

:: Ellen Lenihan ::
Content Producer, Educational Technologies Unit
Thirteen/WNET New York (PBS)
212.560.2909 phone
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.thirteen.org/edonline/