Hello Folks,

We may be preaching to the choir but those singing need inspiration as well. ;-)

>they seem to equate bridging the digital divide with the spread of mobile
>telephony, which
strikes me as very misguided....Saying that the digital divide is being bridged
rapidly makes no sense...because it suggests the job is done, let's not worry
about it, and takes pressure off all these policymakers here in Geneva who are
debating how to finance bridging the digital
divide.

This is exactly the point of the article IMO.  Whoever planted the story was
trying to set the agenda so those working diligently to DO SOMETHING to bridge
the DD would be forced stop what they are doing and defend themselves.  This
type of misdirection is commnplace when dealing in a world of limited resources
and extraordinarily powerful business/politcal interests who want to maximize
their profits and or power at all costs.

Conquering the DD is essentially a philanthropic effort, meaning  you have to
appeal to people on the basis of their desire to work for the greater good.
Working with such high ideals in mind is not exactly the most popular activity
among those who control the vast amount of financial an other resources.  What
those folks DON'T CONTROL is the intellectual capacity of people like-minded
people determined to reach across the barriers to create new, more effective
means for the sharing of ideas and ideals.  I think it is a blessing that folks
here "get it" and are willing to step up to the plate.  I hope to be able to
contribute in a more concrete fashion as we move forward.  In the meantime,
keep fighting the good fight...

Paul Mondesire