Taran, you've found and stated all the issues and objections to using
churches as telecenters.

Just a few comments.

As you point out, religion separates people.

And:

Schooling separates people. Politics separates people. Tradition separates
people. Income separates people. Geography separates people.

Language separates people: perhaps we should insist that all who want to
cross that divide learn a common language. English?

In brief, all of the aspect of that amorphous stuff we call "culture"
separates people

So: if we are realists, we begin with the world as it is--separated--and not
how we would like to remake it in our own image of what a better world would
be like..

That is: if those now on the wrong side of the digital divide are already
separated, and we care about doing something substantial about that divide,
we can denounce the separation, propose new institutional forms of
togetherness (which in short order will also separate people), or we can
begin by recognizing these islands of separation and asking how we can work
with them so as to make a difference..

That is: we work with schools, although they separate people into those
groups that can pay tuition and those that can't. We put public computers in
libraries, although libraries--and computers--separate people into those
that can read and those that can't, and tend to put resources like computers
where they benefit the readers and leave the nonreaders untouched.

We put computers into churches, and hope (some of us) that we can use those
computers to begin to encourage interfaith dialog as well as economic
development.

I do want to challenge your reliance on an Ayn Randian version of the human
condition:

<<In the end, I really think that the Digital Divide can only be bridged
> by individuals acting in their own interest - taking ownership of their
> lives. When it comes to infrastructural issues, governments are
> responsible - but in any democracy, ultimately the individual is
> responsible. This is actually Randian in a way, but I think it's
> respectful>>

To be equally direct: it is this crude philosophy of every man or woman for
himself/herself that is the problem, not the solution. There is much dying
in Africa from AIDS, to pick one social problem where computers and churches
can make a difference, and the dying will not stop by urging a kind of crude
capitalist ideal of selfishness.

The genius of the computer is that it is the first dialogic medium in
history, unlike the broadcast media such as television.  The computer makes
it possible for people in Trinidad to converse easily with people in
California, so that they become a  group, a potential collaborative.

You and I are separated: by age, experience, education, nationality, perhaps
race and religion, or nonreligion. We can't wait until those cultural
differences are set aside to begin to search for ways to work together.

I appreciate your willingness to take clear and strong positions: that
willingness makes for good challenge and response..

Steve Eskow

[EMAIL PROTECTED]