Deadline Extended in $100,000 Development Gateway Award

Global Competition to Recognize Information Technology's Role in
Development

February 15, 2005 - The Development Gateway Foundation is extending the
deadline in its global competition to reward outstanding achievement in
using information and communication technologies (ICT) to improve
people's lives in developing countries. The new deadline for this year's
$100,000 Development Gateway Award is March 15.

"This competition is a global search for excellence, and we are taking
every measure to find the highest-impact application of ICT to win this
award," said Development Gateway Chief Executive Officer Alan J. Rossi.
"Then in June, we will profile the winner and runners-up to demonstrate
for all to see the results that can be achieved using ICT to improve
people's lives."

This year, as the number of Internet users worldwide surpasses the 1
billion mark, about half of those users will be in developing countries.
"I strongly believe that access to ICT can change the lives of the poor
dramatically, if we can ensure access to ICT for the poor," said Grameen
Bank founder Muhammad Yunus, winner of the 2004 award.

Grameen Bank-Village Phone was chosen from over 200 nominees for the
2004 Development Gateway Award, then known as the Petersberg Prize. The
award recognized Grameen's innovation in combining microfinance and
mobile telephone service to help create a new class of women
entrepreneurs in Bangladesh who raised themselves from poverty while
providing rural villages with essential communication services.

For the 2005 competition, please go to www.developmentgateway.org/award
for more information and nomination forms. Nominations already submitted
can continue to be updated at this site.

Contact:

Karen Lynch

tel: +1.202.572.9216

e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]