Just to add a little more information about Geekcorps:

The founder, Ethan Zuckerman, has a weblog called "My blog's in
Cambridge, but my heart is in Accra".

http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/ethan/

He's no longer with the organization, but he should be an invaluable
source of information regarding the recent history of internet growth
in Accra.

There is also a fascinating podcast of a presentation that Ethan made
at the Pop!Tech 2004 conference:

http://www.itconversations.com/shows/detail250.html

Best
Dave