Friends:

I just visited the Bytesforall.net portal and found the following two
interesting items.

--------
UN opens its Official Document System to the general public

The United Nations has launched its Official Document System (ODS), a full-text
web resource for official UN documentation.

INDIA * The 'virus' of Free Software is spreading...

This is a list of the useful user groups that help in spreading Free/Libre and
Open Source Software. Most are from around India, and could play a useful role
in spreading the ideals of sharing and freedom in the FLOSS movement. Would
really appreciate any help in updating and correcting this list and keeping it
current. Thanks for helping to update this list and keeping it relevant. -- FN
(Frederick Noronha in Goa) fred at bytesforall.org.
-------

A number of the readers of this portal are keen to promote open source
software. There is an equally important and useful goal to be achieved. I am
talking about making the world's scientific and scholarly journal literature
accessible to everyone free of cost and instantly on publication. The portal is
happy to report that the UN has opened up its official documents. Should we not
work towards opening up the scientific and schoalrly research literature? Some
may ask why is that important. Let me explain. Knowledge is important at all
levels. We at the M S Swaminathan Research Foundation know from our experience
with the knowledge centres in Pondicherry and Tamil Nadu in southern India over
the past decade how very useful access to knowledge is for the rural poor. The
role played by these centres both during and after the recent tsunami attack on
our coasts has been written about and discussed in intenational fora. The
orderly fashion in which relief measures were delivered in these villages was
in stark contrast to what had happened elsewhere. Andy Carvin and others who
attended the recent Baramati Conference were full of praise for Prof.
Swaminathan's talk on our kowledge centres. If access to relevant and useful
information makes a difference in the lives of the rural poor, it is even more
crucial for those in the business of generating new knowledge that can form the
basis of development. That is why scientists and scholars need to have
immediate access to the newly emerging kowledge, irrespective of where it comes
from. Unfortunately, the scholarly journals which mediate this process have
become unaffordable; there are too many of them and most of them are very
expensive. But developments in technology, especially ICTs, have made it
possible for us now to have such access at a ridiculously low cost.

Taking advantage of the web technology, physicists of the world started
exchanging their research findings through an archive called arXiv about 15
years ago. Today most physicists worth the name use arXiv to let others know of
therir new papers and to learn what other physicists are up to. arXiv is a
centralised archive, originally located at Los Alamos National Laboratory and
now at Cornell University, and it has more than 15 mirror sites, several of
them in Asia including one at the Institute of Mathematical Sciences in Chennai
(Madras). People who have thought about archiving research papers have thought
of interoperable institutional archives as another possibility and today there
are about 400 such institutional open access archives around the world. The one
at the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, has about 1,700 papers stored in
it and the number is increasing every day.

It is in the interest of developing country scientists and scholars to promote
the culture of institutional archiving. Imagine a world where every institution
performing and publishing research has an archive and every scientist deposits
his/her papers in these archives. Now anyone can access any paper if he/she has
an Internet connection. Knowledge will flow freely and science will advance
much faster than in a regime where knowledge is locked up and kept inaccessible
to all the users through cost barriers.

There is another and possibly more important benefit for developing country
scientists. Right now papers by scientists from DCs are rarely noticed, read
and quoted by others. The journals produced in DCs are rarely subscribed by
libraries in advanced countries. Often someone in Bangalore may not know what
another scientist living in Kanpur has published! But if all these papers are
available free on the Net, then their visibility and citability will increase
manifold. And that is precisely what every scientist would want.

Setting up interoperable institutional open access archives is pretty easy. The
software is free and can be downloaded from the Net. There are experts who are
willing to provide training (if needed). There are many international
organizations actively promoting the culture if OA archiving.

Those of us who are trying to promote the use of free and open source software
could in addition promote OAA as well. A recent study has shown that we need to
create an awareness among scientists and policymakers of the tremendous
advantages of such archives. We need to mount many advocacy programmes.

The recent meeting (Berlin-3) held at the Southampton University came up with
the following recommendation:

"In order to implement the Berlin Declaration institutions should

1) Implement a policy to require their researchers to
deposit a copy of all their published articles in an
open access repository.

and

2) Encourage their researchers to publish their research
articles in open access journals where a suitable journal
exists and provide the support to enable that to happen."

I would urge all of you friends to persuade institutions (your own and others)
to adopt and implement these recommendations.

Thanks and best wishes.

Arun
[Subbiah Arunachalam]