"No good deed goes unpunished" or "Do good anyways" and "Bloom where you're
planted" - so people have told me in the past...when faced with the natural
tendency of people to examine or criticize good work from a variety of
important and legitimate perspectives.  I remember once learning about how
the federal budget process worked and the sharer of information said a very
wise thing. He said "Of course, it is obvious, that very intelligent people
can legitimately disagree about priorities."

I struggle with where the balance is too - is the most effective action
policy and legislation based (to achieve a long term goal or open a market)?
Is it the 'on the ground' one on one work in communities who may not ever
directly benefit from changed legislation and market opportunities due to a
variety of factors?  Is it in the profit sector? Is it via faith based or
NGO or nonprofit efforts?  Is it with an individual (teach them to fish or
in this case give them fishing poles)? An organization that's community
based (teach them to fish together)? An institution that has far reach and
the fiscal wherewithal to sustain effort (research best fishing practices,
create models and provide resources to increase the catch for all fishermen
- regardless of a lack of existing fishing poles and the money to buy them
or put them to the best use of some fishermen)? Is sustained effort the
measure of success? Are open markets the measure of success? Are increased
communications/technology abilities the measure?

Or is the actual increased economic condition of people living in poverty
the marker(individually increased cash flow, and/or increased short & long
term assets made possible via technology that would not otherwise exist)?

And then with all these questions - there has come a new thought to my mind
of late as I have observed the interaction of IT projects within more
culturally traditional and more assimilated communities.  In forensic
science there is a concept that when a person goes to a place they leave an
impact on the place - a speck of dust, a hair, something...and the place
also leaves an impact on the person - reciprocally giving to them - a speck
of dust, a hair, something...in some interactions the reciprocity is
balanced, in others it is highly imbalanced and produces more of an impact
on one or the other.

As we focus on bridging the DD - it appears that there are cultural
exchanges that are inherent in this work, with impacts. Are there models of
completed DD projects that work specifically with the markers of retaining
and/or strengthening the intact cultures to which the technology is
introduced while bringing economic benefits to those communities?

I wonder at the impacts technology can have that either purposefully, or
without intent, act as a 'great assimilator.' Can anyone recommend
readings/research on this topic?

I am very interested in any thoughts any of you have on this topic and
appreciate them in advance.

Thank you,
Wanda

ThreeHoops.com

Visibility & Resources for Tribal Nations, NA Businesses and Nonprofits

2011 Fall Hill Avenue - Fredericksburg VA 22041 - Tel: 540 371 4199