Bill McIver wrote:

> *Recycling skill*
>
> Millions of PCs are decommissioned every year in the UK, but one
> company is finding a useful home for them in Kenyan schools. Simon
> Birch reports
>
> *Thursday April 7, 2005
> The Guardian <http://www.guardian.co.uk>*
>
> See http://www.guardian.co.uk/online/story/0,3605,1453286,00.html

One of the questions I always have about this is a matter of parts.
Where a lot of these machines may be donated, they may be donated
because parts have become a problem or service has become too expensive
when compared to new machines.

While I like to see such machines used instead of not used, I often
wonder whether the long term consequences of labor and the costs of
parts balances the use of the machines in the first place. Have there
been studies done that indicated either way, over a period of 36 months
(2 evolutions of Moore's Law)?

--
Taran Rampersad

[EMAIL PROTECTED]