I use this medium rather than his blog or one I create to respond to Phil
Shapiro's criticism of Apple's Tiger campaign because I am one of those who
is more comfortable with the easy give and take of email dialog than I am
with the formalities of the blog.

(That may change.)

The notion that Apple does not know that learning takes place outside of the
school setting is wide of the mark: anyone who knows the history of the two
Steves and their work and statements over the years knows of their belief in
the power of nonformal learning.

There is a simple explanation for Apple's current focus on the formal
educational settings which does not involve ignorance of or indifference to
other possibilities for teaching and learning.

In the early days of school computing Apple had the lion's share of the
school and college market: the Apple 2 and the early Macintosh's were
everywhere, and all the others including Tandy and Morrow and Eagle--and
IBM--far behind.

That of course has changed, and currently Apple has only a minority  share
of the school and college market.

The campaign that Phil criticizes is nothing more than a focused marketing
campaign aimed at getting Apple back into contention in the school and
college market.

This focus on a target is of course how marketing works, and does not at all
mean that Apple does not know or appreciate the nonschool contributions of
nonacademics and nonschool settings to learning.

Steve Eskow

[EMAIL PROTECTED]