-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Steven
Wagenseil
Sent: Saturday, April 23, 2005 12:15 AM
To: The Digital Divide Network discussion group
Subject: Re: [DDN] FW When iPod goes collegiate

Claude:

Re the comment about intellectual property theft
(which is what is meant when talking about a
professor's lectures being available on the Internet:
I am no expert (my teenage son might be, but not
moi...) but I don't think it's possible to "record"
speech directly onto an iPod, is it?  I thought files
had to be handled by a laptop or desktop first, before
they could be played on an iPod (which doesn't even
have an input jack for a microphone...

So where's the worry?  If a professor puts his
lectures online for students, he must realize they
could easily go to a wider audience.  And just as with
written notes or a research paper or a textbook, there
are rules in academia about plagarism, etc.

Also, any student trying to record a lecture
surreptitiously would have a hard time hiding that
laptop and mike, I would think.  Plus I do recall
having trouble hearing some professors clearly in
person; how much harder would it be through a little
mike or something...

Just a few thoughts...
SW
OSCE/ODIHR