-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Taran
Rampersad
Sent: Saturday, May 07, 2005 12:37 PM
Cc: The Digital Divide Network discussion group
Subject: Re: [DDN] Digital Divide, Telecentres and Iraq

Dr. Steve Eskow wrote:

>Taran Ramersad writes:
>
><<when people feel they must resort to violence, it is usually because
>they do not believe that they are being heard.>>
>
>Those who are resorting to violence in Iraq and Israel--and the US--have
>been heard, and clearly.

Have they? By no means do I defend anyone who undertakes a road of
violence (pick a side if you wish), but has there been sincere
discussion? Or instead have there been opposing monologues?

Indeed, the only people who can say that they have been heard and
understood are the senders with the appropriate feedback.

For communication to happen, there has to be a sender and a receiver. To
assure that communication is effective, there has to be feedback. This
applies to everything in the world - from ICT to human interaction
(which are what we would like to see merged more).

>Perhaps it is more accurate to say that when people resort to violence it
is
>because they are not satisfied with being heard: they want to prevail.

Perhaps they wish their message to prevail. If someone sees themselves
as sincerely right, they will continue trying to communicate their
message in any way possible - or they give up. Now we could delve into
discussion which transcends the Digital Divide here, and I'll try to
avoid that.

Dragging this back on track (kicking and screaming, I might add) -
telecentres in Iraq would be and should be basically alot like anywhere
else in the world. As Andy pointed out, they would be places where
people not only communicated over long distances, but also gather
socially. It's a modern bonfire, per se, where people congregate and
share not only information that is abstract - they share information
that is real to themselves, and real to their own community.

In the context of Iraq, or even the larger scope of the Middle East -
individuals (call them what you will) blow themselves up to kill many
people. This supports the idea that they wish the message to prevail -
for they certainly do not. But a good telecenter - one which allows
people to congregate - becomes a target. So then, they may gain military
security from the Iraqi security forces, or some other country's
military... and then it becomes more of a target for people who wish to
send a message. And the best place to have meetings is in crowded places
- secret or otherwise. So, it stands to reason that the military and
security forces get nervous when people congregate - not only because
they do not know who their enemy is, but also because they end up
personally becoming targets. The phrase used to describe such
congregations is 'a target rich environment'.

In comparison, I presently live a very surreal life. I updated my
personal website to Drupal 4.6.0 on the 10th floor gallery in a hotel in
Panama City, Panama, using wireless access this morning at 2 a.m. while
people returned from where normal people come back from on Friday
nights. They came to the 10th floor for fresh air, and perhaps a spirit
of romance, only to find some geek sitting there working on a computer
near a wireless antenna, a romance terrorist... or perhaps an excuse to
go to a hotel room, I'll never know. But if I had to worry about one of
these people coming to the roof with a bomb strapped to their chest, I
probably wouldn't have been where I was. And that's Iraq's specific
problem, I think, when it comes to telecenters.

The real travesty of present day Iraq is that being around other people
could be seen as dangerous. And the Iraqi people, who have suffered for
generations, are having some of the best technology installed as they
rebuild their country (or perhaps Halliburton does. I don't keep track),
but they still have people wandering around and blowing things up.

Before technology can be effective, the basic human need of safety is
needed. These are historically food, shelter, water and clothing. In
this millenium, that also means having a sense that one will not be
harmed or killed, or not caring whether one is harmed or killed. While
we can bat around phrases such as 'prevail' or 'feedback', the bottom
line really is that if people can't communicate properly with existing
technology in a manner which is non-violent, how do we expect technology
to improve the quality of life?

Perhaps I paint to dire of a picture. I'm not in Iraq, and I applaud the
idea of telecentres everywhere. However, I also think that we have to be
realistic with expectations, especially in light of the physical
dangers. So people work toward these goals, and that is a good thing -
but until underlying issues are addressed, these things remain a reality.

--
Taran Rampersad
Presently in: Panama City, Panama

http://www.knowprose.com