Taran Rampersad wrote:
Snipped some stuff...

John Hibbs wrote:

Here's my caveat. The one area that I think needs improvement is how
both groups can get more attention?

My guess is that podcasting, satellite radio, community radio and the
innovative spirits that are found in both groups are the main
ingredients for wide publicity - and more money, accelerated results.
Yet, both groups seem satisfied to reach a few hundred in their real
time events and a few thousand in their electronic circulations.

OK, I have only one problem with this, really: Podcasting. Note - that
is not to say that I disagree with *mobcasting*. Podcasting, by itself,
isn't something I deem very important as it is and as it is used. Aside
from marketing hype... podcasting has limited value to the vast majority
of users of the internet.

Lets not lump all podcasting together and write it off. You say "as it is used", but that seems to assume that there are no good uses of podcasting.

I, like most people, find most blogs do not interest me. Similarly, the majority of podcasts don't interest me. However, just like blogs there are a few podcasts that I find extremely useful.

A great example would be http://www.itconversations.com (only useful to the techies out there but it is a good example). This site carries the audio from a wide range of sources, such as radio shows and, most importantly, conference presentations.

There are some wonderful presentations at various conferences that I cannot attend, these podcasts make the important key-notes and other presentations available to a wide range of people unable to be physically present at the conference.

> Audio blogging is for people who have bandwidth.

Remember that bandwidth need not be a live Internet connection. I recently passed a Compact Flash containing a number of key presentations from IT Conversations to a colleague in rural Guyana.

In his village he doesn't even have a computer, let alone an Internet connection. Yet that lack of bandwidth does not limit him with podcasting, he'll be using an MP3 player to listen to the podcasts and will be using what he learns from them to convince the village community that they need an IT Centre.

I therefore agree with John, podcasting has the *potential* to reach many more than it currently does.

Ross