Thanks to Christopher Miller for an illuminating discussion of the link
between technology and culture.

He asks:

<<My question is then to the DDN - what do those in Iraq want to know
about?>>

Might "those in Iraq" be too broad a category? Might we want  to distinguish
between what  the Amish and the Mennonites want to hear, the Sunnis and the
Shiites want to hear?

And perhaps we need to consider the related question, "With whom do the
factions in Iraq want to talk?" Certainly there are those who do not want
messages from Americans.

A jump.

Here is a piece of a message from another list: on technology's role in
increasing violence against women.

<<In more ways than one, ICTs do help to harm women

By itself, the Internet itself isn't creating new forms of crimes against
women and children. But, it is sure creating new ways and means for these
crimes to be perpetrated. Beyond the hype, today's new communication
technologies -- particularly the Internet -- have severe impacts for women.
Women's movements are now having to deal with the issue of cyber-stalking,
pornography on the Internet, SMS harassment, and 'teledildonics'. So, can
the intersection point between ICTs and violence against women be redefined,
or at least better understood?>>

Many of us fall easily into the evangelical mode when we think and talk of
the benefits of the new communication technologies. It is important that we
be reminded of time to time that even the most powerful remedies have side
effects, and are not universally effective.

Steve Eskow