Kimberly King-Burns wrote:

>Hi, everyone:
>For an example of an excellent Rotary Club-supported initiative in the
>Bahamas and Caribbean, see www.wiredislandnetwork.com.
>
>Rotary Club East Nassau joined the Briland Modem Fund's community
>technology centre outreach program (see www.brilandmodemfund.com) two
>years ago, and has since started working to drum regional Rotary
>support to engage a similar effort Caribbean-wide.  Microsoft Caribbean
>and IBM Nassau have also entered the mix.

It should be noted that as far as the Caribbean region goes, the Bahamas
haven't been involved in any of the regional meetings with NGOs.
Further, the regional NGOs are not leaning toward Microsoft in the
Caribbean region, instead looking for more cost effective and locally
controlled software - which bodes well for Open Source and Software
Libre. If Microsoft wishes to help fund that, I'm sure that their money
would be welcome. IBM has already assisted in endeavours in the region.

This does not mean that the Bahamas would not be welcome to the regional
meetings. But I find it odd that someone as tied into regional issues in
the Caribbean and Latin America as I am has to hear about this here,
instead of the regional mailing lists. Working together in the region is
the ultimate goal of the region, and while I do not have the authority
to speak for the region I would find it difficult to believe that
further cooperation would be frowned upon.

I'd certainly like to hear whether the Rotary Clubs wish to work with
regional NGOs. I'd certainly put them in touch with regional
institutions and email lists if they so desire.

--
Taran Rampersad
Presently in: Panama City, Panama

http://www.knowprose.com