Steve, replying to your statements,

> Negroponte explicitly resists the idea of shared and public computing, and
> wants  immediately to move to personal computing.
>
> The down sides of personal computing are obvious, and extend well beyond the
> matter of initial cost. Personal computing tends to make maintenance and
> repair problems and costs also personal, for example, while social computing
> allows a community of users to share such costs.
>
> Personal or social computing: which is the right road for those without
> computers and their benefits to get access to them?

Who are we to make the decision as to which approach is the best?
Shouldn't the people involved have a say, and, in order to allow them
to do so, shouldn't we allow various initiatives to go forward, so
that people can use them?

just a thought (am I missing something?)

Sandy Andrews

--
Sandra Sutton Andrews, PhD
[EMAIL PROTECTED]