Hi All,
I have been watching this discussion with a certain amount of
facscination. Having completed some research into the impact of
technology in education it is interesting to see the same rhetoric -
provide the technology and they will come. Students know what to do with
it. Not so according to the latest research in elearning and technology
in education. Text on screen, moving objects or simulations are no more
interactive than TV, DVD or video. What makes any learning experience is
the teacher and the way the learning tools are embedded into the
curriculum. Only when this happens will students engage with the
learning and participate at a level that can be described as deep
learning. By all means provide the technology, but this is only half of
the equation. We also neeed to think in terms of quality here.
:)
BC

Convenor for the Transforming Information and Learning Conference
http://www.chs.ecu.edu.au/TILC

Barbara Combes, Lecturer
School of Computer and Information Science
Edith Cowan University, Perth Western Australia
Ph: (08) 9370 6072
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Whatever the cost of our libraries, the price is cheap compared to that
of an ignorant nation."

This email is confidential and intended only for the use of the
individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient,
you are notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this
email is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this email in error,
please notify me immediately by return email or telephone and destroy
the original message.