-Dear Steve and others:
Steve, we have exactly the same situation here, you could get DSL provided by
your local phone carier...IF you move two towns over where the -competing cble
company hasn't made a sweetheart deal with the local municipal government.  As
is the case, I happen to love in the "high rent" district where the majority of
residents are fairly affluent and not overly concerned with the price of a
service just the provision of a service.   So we only have access to cable or
dial-up. DSL may be coming--possibly two years down the road, according to the
local phone provider, but this has remained the static answer for the LAST two
years. On a business services level- it sounds like another way to circumvent
free market competition by SOUNDING like free market competition. -- very much
akin to the way ENRON promoted deregulation of the energy services market in
California, only to use the lack of competition to drive up prices and restrict
services to the point of crippling an entire sta!
 te.
We pay an absolutley outrageous rate for high-speed cable internet because no
one else is allowed to provide the services in my community.  This bill would
just legitimize this practice on another market level disguised as a free
market enterprise while strangling yet another market commodity.
Oh the neocons are very clever- making us believe that competition is free and
open while they totally monopolize another market - a disguised American Way!

No municipality faced with higher social service and health care costs could
even allocate funding to a project of this magnitude, never mind be
competitive, so the private sector can just keep carving up the markets.
Beleive me when I say that no telecomm really cares about the rural areas where
the customer/population base per square mile isn't profitable.
Remember when large telecomm companies weren't deregulated?

Regards,
Susan
Susan Crane-Sundell
[EMAIL PROTECTED]