I spent some time last week playing around with this (Google Maps API)
on our site, TakingITGlobal. It is somewhat complicated because it
requires Latitude/Longditude coords for each person - but over the last
few months I have been mapping users to city data to be more accurate,
and we realized that we have lat/long for all these cities!

So you can see a live map of members online:
http://www.takingitglobal.org/members/membermap.html

Or even a map of member density in a particular country which is also
intersting - for example, you can see Russian cities where we have
members:
http://www.takingitglobal.org/members/membermap.html?type=country&Countr
yID=131

We could theoretically do this for DDN membership but it would require a
bunch of time importing city data and mapping members to cities... But
is pretty neat to see!

-- Mike

Michael Furdyk
Director of Technology, TakingITGlobal.org