In a message dated 9/5/05 11:54:08 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> > Over and over again I have > heard it said (on TV
> and > > radio) that the Internet has been
> instrumental, in fact > crucial, in facilitating
> access to information and > > > communications when
> other more traditional methods have > failed. I think
> this is a magnificent example of how > > the Internet,
> an open and free human arena, not widelly > controlled
> by special interests
>
> Here we see another divide that this list touched on
> (perhaps differently), and then ignored.

Gently, I remind you that the Internet, is not everywhere. There is still a
digital divide in American and particularly among the poor. I felt bad as I
listened to the commentators tell everyone to go to the Internet. There are
people in the US for whom the Internet is not accessible, for many reasons.
There are few public places for the poor to get their internet on, in areas
of need.

Andy and I used to talk about which digital divide. Fortunately, he steered
me to seeing it as an international problem. But the need is acute and pressing
in the areas of the very poor. Interwhat? might be a better way of thinking
about the needs of those who are unwired, have no wifi and no knowledge of it.
The commentators talk about it. I have no idea what they are talking about .

I worked on a truck traveling the US an 18 wheeler that shared , showed and
in which we demonstrated what the Internet was and how to use it. But there was
not everywhere a connection or understanding. In Oakland, people passed us by
to get to the bookmobile. You can understand the lack of interest. No
knowledge of the possibilities.

Bonnie Bracey
bbracey at aol com