Becky Hebert, one of the organizers of this project, works for the NN/LM
providing community outreach in the Southeast Atlantic Region. I know she will
do a great job with this project. Please note there are jobs for people at a
distance.
Siobhan

Please pass on to anyone you know or any listserv you are on...

Dear Librarians, Information Professionals and other Friends,

The  Geaux Library Project www.geauxlibrary.org  will attempt to meet the
information needs at hurricane evacuee shelters around Louisiana and beyond.
Using computers and networking equipment donated to the Red Cross and others by
large commercial and local IT companies, we will be setting up small computer
labs at Red Cross shelters and staffing them with librarians and other trained
volunteers.

Our pilot locations in Louisiana will include the Gonzales, Baton Rouge, and
Acadiana (Lafayette) areas. We need your help!

Specifically, we have openings for the following volunteer positions:
On-site positions
O         Geaux Getters
o        You will do an initial needs assessment on the shelter(s) in your
area.  You will be provided with a questionnaire to determine the information
necessary for the project.   This will require you to visit the shelter
physically and in put your findings into a web-based form.
          Geaux Coordinators
o        You will be responsible for determining and assigning the necessary
amount of volunteers for shelter(s) that they oversee.  Communications will
take place over the phone, online, and possibly in person.   Coordinators may
need to periodically visit the shelter site to determine adequacy of resources.
 Coordinators can also double as Geaux Librarians.
v         Geaux Librarians
o        You will be asked to supervise a small network of computers and
volunteers in a shelter.  This may include: reference, referring in-depth
questions to our searcher network, data entry, instruction on computer use to a
population with very limited computer skills, coordinating computer usage times
among patrons, opening and/or closing the computer area, basic technical
support i.e. turning on computer and maintaining a printer and/or fax machine,
other duties as they arise.  Shifts are flexible.
          Geauxfers
o        You will need to be available to do anything the Geaux Librarians or
Geaux Coordinators need you to do.
          Geaux Techs
o        Hardware and network techs will be needed to troubleshoot any issues
that may come up at the various sites, and setup new shelter computers.  Some
of the work may be done remotely depending on the issue.
H         Geaux Couriers
o        You will drive equipment and supplies from a pickup point to the
shelters. This can be a one time job or you can volunteer to do it more often.
We will specify the locations as they come up.
o        We have an immediate need for a Geaux Courier to bring equipment from
Lafayette to Gonzales or Baton Rouge!

Remote positions
R         Geaux Speed Searcher
o        You will be issued a login ID and password that will give you access
to questions posted by onsite librarians.  You may work on these answers and
view other answers until a notice has been posted that no more are needed.
This may be done anytime, anywhere, and our only request is, in accordance with
the ALA Code of Ethics, to respect the confidentiality of these questions.
          Geaux Writer
o        You will write content for the website as needed such as policies,
volunteer position descriptions, link descriptions, etc..  Experience in
writing clear, easy to read information in a must.
w         Geaux Webmaster
o        You will maintain the geauxlibrary.org website.  You must have
experience in using a variety of web programming languages and using database
driven websites.

Everything is completely voluntary at this time, but the satisfaction you
receive will be helping hurricane Katrina victims by doing what you know how to
do better than anyone else!

For more information and further description of volunteer opportunities, please
see our website at www.geauxlibrary.org .   Go there to fill out the volunteer
signup form to become part of this much needed project.

We are also accepting Donations through the website.  Click on the For Donors
section to see what items we need and how to donate.

We will be putting out instructions on how to start your own Geaux Library in
your area soon, so keep watching the website for more information. The website
is just now functional to get more volunteers and donations.  We will add more
information when we get some help.

Geaux Library Project (shelter) Organizers,
Becky Hebert and Addie Fletcher

Siobhan Champ-Blackwell, MSLIS
Community Outreach Liaison
National Network of Libraries of Medicine - MidContinental Region
Creighton University Health Sciences Library
2500 California Plaza
Omaha, NE 68178
402-280-4156/800-338-7657
[EMAIL PROTECTED]