Thanks for sharing. Many Americans actually live out of their backpacks for
different reasons, esp. tempoary homelessness. It is a practical idea.
~~Brother Peter
Cc: Humane Rights Agenda +

Taran Rampersad <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Oddly enough, I've been looking at doing this in Trinidad and Tobago as
well with satellite internet access, since the local telecommunications
provider has a monopoly (and I can do this for personal use - meaning I
don't charge money for it and I don't use their infrastructure)

Andy Carvin wrote:

> http://tinyurl.com/ceyud
>
> Ingredients:
>
> • Junxion Box wireless gateway $700; junxionbox.com
> • Verizon Wireless EV-DO PCMCIA card $100; verizonwireless.com

For US applications, in context, these are good (though cheaper
alternatives are probably out there)

> • Voltaic Systems solar-charging backpack $230; voltaicsystems.com
> • 12-volt battery with spade terminals, 1.2 or higher amp-hour $15

A car battery would work just fine, and actually can power more with
deep cycles. The higher the amp-hour, the longer it takes for a full
charge - but the less it takes to degrade that charge. For a more
permanent solution, I usually use gel batteries which are more expensive
but can take a complete drain and recharge with no problems. They
typically last longer than 5 years... I have one lighting system in
Trinidad that has lasted 7 years, and with 6 lights, solar panel and
battery weighs less than 12 lbs.

And actually, with DIY solar, you could make your own solar backpack...
Hmm... Even a jacket, actually.

> • Male DC power plug, size M $5
> • 18-gauge wire, black and red $5
> • Female insulated quick-disconnect connectors, crimp-type, sized for
> battery spade terminals $3
> • In-line fuse holder $7
> • 20-amp fuse 50 cents

These are high prices. Shopping around can net a lower cost.

. The tough part is finding a satellite communications provider that
services Trinidad and Tobago with bandwidth in excess of 500k. So the
original solution works well for the U.S., but can be easily adapted
where there is satellite internet access available. The trick is finding
the satellite internet access.

Now, the reasonable question is 'Why'. The answer is that in the region,
there is typically only one link per nation to the internet, and in the
case of a disaster, that link could be severed. So a working model of
something like this, with a GSM modem and appropriate software perhaps
on a Simputer (which lasts 12 hours on battery), there might be a
reasonable and lightweight solution for emergency communication.

Plus, it's just darned cool.

Back to work...

--
Taran Rampersad
Presently in: Georgetown, Guyana

http://www.knowprose.com
http://www.easylum.net
http://www.digitaldivide.net/profile/Taran

"Criticize by creating." — Michelangelo

Fight Back Against Amerikan Fascism!
Brother Peter S. Lopez ~~ Field Coordinator
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sacramento, Califas, USA
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HumaneRightsAgenda/
http://groups.msn.com/CASAHOMEPAGE