Hi Chris

I'll look back into some of my files and links, but you might want to
look into micro hydro power (tiny generators in streams or rivers,
linked to batteries). I researched it a bit when I was looking for
alternatives to a huge dam that was planned for the Usumacinta River,
between Mexico and Guatemala. Due to local and international protest,
that dam plan has been shelved - for now.

But when I posted information on micro hydro on my blog, it got more
comments and requests for more info than almost anything else I've
posted.

http://www.gomaya.com/glyph/archives/000086.html

One of the links in that post was to a (surprisingly?) good source of
papers on sustainable development - the World Bank. Politics aside,
there are good resources there.

http://www-wds.worldbank.org/

Here for instance is a list of 171 items returned in a search for "solar":

http://www-wds.worldbank.org/servlet/WDS_IBank_Servlet?stype=AllWords&all=solar&x=9&y=8&ptype=sSrch&pcont=results&sortby=D&sortcat=D

For news and reports on sustainable technologies of all kinds, in a
format irresistible to webheads like us, you can't beat WorldChanging:

http://www.worldchanging.com/

I'll see what else I can find.

Best
Dave