(Reply at bottom)

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Saturday, September 17, 2005 9:30 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [DDN] Cedar Pruitt's departure from DDN

In a message dated 9/15/05 7:46:24 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> I think there is a larger issue that we might collaborate on.  Funders
> do not seem to value the role of intermediaries and of knowledge
> brokers. I find many of the same challenges of finding money for the
> Tutor/Mentor Connection as DDN is finding for the work it does.

Dan, I agree. Funders do not understand the perspective of the knowledge
workers, brokers and intermediaries, ... Talk about challenges .. I could
write a
book.   Much energy is lost in
re-inventing oneself to fit the needs of funders.

Bonnie

Bonnie Bracey
bbracey@    aol   com

-----------

Very true...!

So, to shape our field, we need to educate ourselves and educate the
philanthropic community as to what is best for the field qua field and
movement, and seek a new form of philanthropy.

The other day I attended the Chicago "Asian Giving Circle" event "The Art of
Asian Giving" at the Art Institute of Chicago.  While not concerned about
getting into details here, one important aspect was a diverse donor base and
each donor at the $250 annual level having a vote in how the fund would
benefit the community.

I realize "educating the philanthropic community" can sounds a bit
presumptuous, however, that’s what we we're doing when we make the case
individually as organizations through proposals or other solicitations.

I'm suggesting we do so with some coordination for our field.

-Michael Maranda