Hello Everyone...

My name is Kallen Tsikalas.  I'm the Director of Research & Learning
Services at an organization called Computers for Youth (www.cfy.org).

CFY partners with high-poverty, public middle schools and provides *HOME
COMPUTERS* to all families with students in those schools.  While
maintaining a low cost per family, CFY loads the computers with high-quality
educational software.  We provide technical support, mandatory and
supplementary family computer workshops, initial Internet access and
opportunities for students and parents to serve as models for their
communities.

CFY also works with schools and local departments of education to build ways
in which TEACHERS learn to leverage home computing to 1) enhance children's
learning, 2) promote more positive identification with school and 3) better
support parents as learning partners.

CFY has distributed over 6,000 high quality refurbished computers and
trained over 12,000 individuals in NYC in the last 5 years. We're presently
in the midst of a national expansion, with the goal to replicate our program
in 4 additional cities in the next 5 years.

I mention these details because....  As others on the list have suggested,
it is not *sufficient* to just drop a computer in the home of a low-income,
lower-literacy family and expect transformation.

However, there ARE effective models for bringing such families to technology
and for helping them incorporate computers/Internet into their lives in ways
that will improve children's chances for success.  Computers for Youth is
one of these models!!  It is comprehensive, community-centric, and NOT just
about the computer.

Research on CFY's program has revealed some interesting patterns of impact.
For example, four years of data have shown that students associate home
computer use with increased confidence and curiosity AND with improved
family relationships.  Even more interestingly, students who improve in
language arts (as indicated by teacher reports of performance) are
significantly more likely to say that their home computer improved their
family relationships and confidence.

We've also had some tremendous examples of low-income parents/caretakers
stepping to the plate and really seeing that their children get the most
from this incredible resource.  Here are but a few of the ways that family
members in our program tell us that they're using their home computers.
(Keep in mind, we are working in VERY poor communities):

- A father says that he and his son frequently use the Internet together to
stay on top of current events.  He thinks it's important for his son to know
that there is a world beyond their neighborhood.
- A grandmother reports that she often praises her granddaughter for going
on-line to find better or longer explanations for difficult homework
assignments.  Without this extra help from the web, the child sometimes
cannot complete the work on her own and her grandmother isn't sure how to
help her.
- A mother said that she asks her daughter to help her brother, who has a
learning disability, with math.  The girl, a 6th grader, finds websites to
help her brother.
- Because she knows that her granddaughter is interested in writing, this
grandmother gives the girl writing goals.  For example, one goal was to
research specific authors on the Internet and try to emulate their writing
styles.
- A mother creates challenges for her son and daughter that use the science
simulations on the computer.  For example, one challenge was for them to use
the "light lab" to write their own name in lights.  In this program, the
children learn about mirrors, lenses and refractive and reflective
properties of light.

Having worked in the field for about 10 years, I really appreciate Ronda's
initial post and truly believe that CFY's model is one that can lead to the
types of impact that we're all hoping for.

Best,
--Kallen :)

Computers for Youth (www.cfy.org)
[EMAIL PROTECTED]