Dr. Steve Eskow wrote:

>My own hunch is that leaping the stage of "the social computer" and moving
>immediately to "the personal computer" is an invitation to failure.

Well, if you think in terms of computers, I can understand that hunch.
But a network of computers is a separate thing; a 'social computer' is
also a computer that allows social networking by allowing access to
others across a network. So if people have personal PCs to join the
network, then I don't see how there can be a failure.

>Unless the computers never need servicing, never get infected.

By these criteria, mankind would not have grown crops. They will always
need servicing. There will always be security issues. But people adapt.

>Unless the computers are never given to the home without local and free
>servicing made available.

I am vehemently against 'free' servicing. I do believe, however, that
costs can be lower.

>Unless free and ongoing instruction in their use is made available to
>parents as well as students.

It's available in many guises, and will continue to be.

>Unless the computers are solar powered or hand cranked.

Solar might be better. The less moving parts, the better.

>A social setting for shared use of computers-- a school, a library, a
>church, a community center--allows for instruction and servicing. Each user
>of such a computer as the Simputer can have his or her own card that allows
>for personal use of a shared device.

Let's not forget another social setting: The Internet. Sure, it's not a
bunch of people in the same room, but then would you really want to
share a room with me, Steve?

>The arrival of the low cost paper back book did not make the library
>obsolete.

No. It didn't.

>The arrival of television did not make the shared technology known as the
>school obsolete.

It depends on how you consider 'obsolete'. But I'm sure that television
was only a factor in what I consider modern education. I also fault top
heavy administrative spending on administration, in which I will enjoy
Metzger's company. Bigger buildings and more administrative staff does
not a better school make. And as such, neither will forcing people to
group together to form an basic 'social computer'. A web server is a
social computer, you said so yourself a while back.

People will meet. People will get together. It's the nature of people.
Perhaps we should let people choose how to interact with each other. At
least, we could offer our species some dignity.

--
Taran Rampersad
Presently in: San Fernando, Trinidad

http://www.knowprose.com