I agree with you on almost everything you say, Claude. The exception is the
possible suggestion -- I'm not sure you mean to say this -- that because print
piracy has such a long history, we should be grateful that digital piracy is
less threatening....

Just the fact that Yahoo and Google announce that they are going to scan "all
the books" in some eminent libraries, and don't explain (as you did) that only
public-domain material can be legally digitized, does seem to give tacit
permission for scanning of anything and everything.

And the academic publishers have certainly been asking for trouble for a long,
long time, by pricing their books and journals at a level that only research
libraries can actually buy them.

And yes, there are supposed legal protections in some of the worst piracy
countries, and they work a bit better now than they did 20 years ago. I served
as President and CEO of Harcourt Brace for several years and had the honor of
being bodily thrown out of a bookstore in Taiwan because a colleague and I were
trying to buy pirated versions of Academic Press titles so that we could file
legal objections....

Nonetheless: my point is that many people have no idea that the right to copy
something multiple times does not become yours when you buy a book or CD or
DVD. We need to encourage people, I think, to consider the economic and
intellectual consequences of this ignorance.

Sarah Blackmun