In a message dated 10/24/05 10:24:18 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> >From the NYT: Poor Nations Are Littered With Old PC's, Report Says
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/24/technology/24junk.html
>
> Katy Pearce

I was surprised at how vigorously many countries believe in the acceptance of
old computers based on the cost of new ones. In fact in the book I wrote, one
of the contributors has created a whole set of projects around used
computers. Don't yell at me, I was only the editor, people contributed their
own case
studies and the ideas vary a lot.

But I have been in townships where the computers are chained to a desk, with
no electricity or hope of internet access. I am learning lots of ways to
infuse technology, but the answer depends often on a number of variables.

Those computers used to be given to schools, and were difficult to use. My
first teaching assignment in computers was with eleven computers , all
different
and I had to remember the program, from computer to computer,.. it was a real
challenge. I know there are ways of connecting them and using a good one with
enough space to network, but I doubt if there are many people who are doing
that.

In Togo they used them to learn how to build or construct computers because
they were so old . Still there are countries who accept , tax, and encourage
the shipping of the old computers.

Bonnie Bracey ( Sutton)
bbracey at aol com