My name is April KirkHart, and I am the Special Projects Coordinator for The
Children¹s Partnership, a national research and advocacy nonprofit
organization focusing on children's issues in the United States. Please
visit our website for more information on our organization at:
http://www.childrenspartnership.org

The following is a recent announcement about our newly developed "Digital
Opportunity for America's Youth State Fact Sheets
(http://www.techpolicybank.org/tpb/statefactsheets ) which will be of
particular interest to the members of this community as well as those in the
child advocacy community.  Please read on below and feel free to share the
materials. If there is interest in a discussion group, I can always start
one on the DDN website.

--
April KirkHart, MSW
Special Projects Coordinator

1351 3rd St. Promenade, Suite 206
Santa Monica, CA 90401
Phone: (310) 260-1220
Fax: (310) 260-1921
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.childrenspartnership.org
http://www.techpolicybank.org

ANNOUNCEMENT!!!
Dear Community Leaders and Policy-Makers,

Technology is quickly becoming a necessary tool for young people to grow up
healthy, educated, and productive in our country. Being prepared with the
skills to use computers and the Internet has been shown to create important
opportunities for children such as improving academic achievement,
developing workforce skills for the future, and improving health. However,
some states are doing a better job than others in preparing their residents,
and in particular youth, with the resources to participate effectively in
today¹s technology-driven world.

Are the young people in your state technologically ready?

To find out whether young people in your state are prepared, The Children¹s
Partnership has developed state fact sheets, at
http://www.techpolicybank.org/tpb/statefactsheets , for each of the 50
states and the District of Columbia, which provide key data such as the rate
of workers employed in high-tech firms and the percentage of homes that have
computer, Internet, and broadband access.

The fact sheets complement a report recently released by The Children¹s
Partnership entitled, Measuring Digital Opportunity for America¹s Children:
Where We Stand and Where We Go From Here, at
http://www.techpolicybank.org/tpb/report/doms . The report showed that
Information and Communications Technology positively impacts the lives of
youth, particularly around four critical areas of their lives ­ health,
education, workforce development, and civic participation. It also
identified a troubling digital gap, showing that many youth miss out on
these opportunities.

We hope that these state fact sheets ­ along with the report ­ will assist
you in making sure your state¹s children are not left behind in the
technology age.  Our staff would be pleased to talk with you about any
advocacy you are doing or might undertake in your state to promote digital
opportunity for youth. And we will very much value your feedback or
suggestions about these ideas and materials.

Sincerely,

Wendy Lazarus & Laurie Lipper
Founders and Co-Presidents
The Children¹s Partnership