-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Dave A.
Chakrabarti
Sent: Saturday, November 05, 2005 1:39 PM
To: The Digital Divide Network discussion group
Subject: Re: [DDN] Hardware Acquisition for ctc/computer training room
inThird World

Dear Bryan, Beth, others,

On the issue of laptops / desktops:

While I agree that desktops are much easier to maintain than laptops,
especially in a humid environment (laptops, because of their smaller
form factor, have much more of a problem with heat dissipation /
moisture accumulation) I'd also like to point out that a great deal of
flexibility is offered in a mobile computing environment. In the US,
perhaps, this isn't as relevant...it is easy (relatively) to find
computing resources and internet connections across most major US
cities, and even in more rural areas. In India or Cambodia, however, a
mobile lab might mean the ability to deliver technology exposure /
training to a village that would otherwise have no access to such
technology. In so many situations, it is impossible to bring your target

audience to your center in the third world (I use "Third World" to mean
a developing nation). They cannot simply drive in from miles away as
they do here in the US. The problem of geographic availability of
services is much more acute, and the distances you can deliver a
solution (and therefore, the populations you can target) are much
smaller. This means that your option is either to develop a mobile
solution, or develop lab spaces in every village you wish to serve.
Bryan does not have quite the same problem, as he is located in a major
city.

I'd compare the costs of setting up a laptop-based mobile unit not with
the costs of building a central, desktop-oriented space, but with the
cost of setting up immobile centres in every locality you want to serve.

If you're in a major city, and feel you can do this with a centralized
location, then Bryan's recommendations are applicable...you don't need
the extra hassles of dealing with laptop maintenance and hardware. If
not, then laptops may be the only solution.

Further laptop issues: Laptops are all *different*...much more different

than desktops. Someone who can repair a Toshiba Satellite series machine

may have no clue how to even open a Dell. This is very, very different
from desktop computer hardware, and keep in mind that if you're going
with donated machines, you'll likely have a random mixture of makes and
models.

Bryan: You're in Lake Gardens! I spent much of my childhood there, and
have many fond memories. I'll have to remember to visit you next time
I'm home.

Hope this helps...my first posting to the list.

  Dave.

--

Dave A. Chakrabarti
Project Coordinator

Uddami Computer Training Centre wrote:

>Dear Beth,
>Ive been helping to run an ICT in Kolkata India for several years now.
Here are a few opinions based on our experience:
>    1) Mobile is great but the laptops will need extra planning and
support.
>       During the months of high heat and humidity you will have to
protect them
>       with greater care than a desktop machine. We have problems
during the months
>       of September/October when the humidity seems to be greatest
here.
>       If you have a mobile air-conditioned environment, great.
Otherwise you will
>       need to keep the laptops wrapped when not in use and have fans
going
>       when in operation to keep them from accumulating moisture.
>
>     2) Laptops require greater expertise to repair than desktops so
before bringing
>        them into the country make sure you know of someone who
definitely can
>        repair them. Bring spare parts also if possible
>
>    3) In general we prefer to purchase in country. This is because
most of the
>       donated computers are not worth shipping that far, going through
customs
>       and other hassles versus what can be bought here. Of course
India has a
>       much larger domestic market for computers than Cambodia. You
also might have
>       more control over the quality of the computers than over a
typical donation.
>       Perhaps you could purchase in India or Thailand and then bring
> in?????
>

>I would really think hard about how to make your center mobile.
>Desktops are much cheaper, more reliable and easier to keep running
than laptops in these challenging environments.