Forget WiMax and look at using one of the other existing solutions out there that are either proprietary or WiFi based.

We have done WiFi based links at distances of up to 70 miles on point to point links and up to 25 miles on point to multipoint links. There are other nice solutions out there as well. I worked with volunteer groups in Louisiana after Katrina and we were able to put up broadband networks quickly and effectively using WiFi and Trango radios (http://www.trangobroadband.com) way before the government officials and other groups using WiMax gear.

One good piece of software to enable you to do these things is called StarOS - http://www.star-os.com/ - this software will let you take a generic PC and wireless card and turn it into a routing access point and backhaul all in one. We use this setup to deliver Internet to hundreds of customers in rural Eastern Wyoming and Western Nebraska.

Good luck!

Matt Larsen
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

J L wrote:

Good day to all,
I am a Peace Corps volunteer serving in the Andes of Peru. I am looking into the possibility of using WiMax to connect a nearby community. I am interested in knowing if it is feasible with the standards still be worked out, and what the standard upfront cost are. I am also interested in any other ideas to make a connectioin. I appreciate your advice.
James Tyler Leist