Andy

One measure of the internet's importance in research is the embrace of
open source science tools by young researchers for publishing their
results. They still receive peer review but the results are not
restricted by copyright or proprietary publishers.

An example close to home. Your mention of PLoS triggered my proud
father response. My son Mickey, who is in grad school at Stanford,
just published his first research article in PLoS. I'm happy for the
obvious reasons, but also pleased that he went the open source route
with the paper.

Here's my post on the paper, with links to the report and information
about the image Mick created for it.

http://www.gomaya.com/glyph/archives/001617.html

Best
Dave