Michael,

Almost all of this can be done - the DDN website demonstrates this to a large degree. If I chose to, I could have the RSS feed off of my site pull each email out into my content management system and create a page which allowed comments, and threaded discussion because the DDN site does generate RSS from the email list. The trick is getting the comments back into the email, but that shouldn't be an issue - with perhaps an issue being 'who' posts to the list. But that could be worked around as well, if membership to a site was membership to the email list as well. It's all based on RSS, but because of that the main issue would be related to each post having to be checked against previous posts for the same subject line to differentiate a comment from a fresh post. Because people are odd with subject lines, it would require that people be more careful with their email subject lines. That part would require a MySQL search.

Yes, I'm using Drupal. I suppose once you figure out how you want to handle the emails, you could have comments to original posts sent to an email list for the author of the comment; that's a simple thing to put into the comment module logic of Drupal.

The wiki issue gets more complicated because of the depth of the data (history of changes, etc), but it could be done in the form of a 'patch' on a technical level...

It's an idea that a few people and myself had discussed in the context of Caribbean ICT 2 years ago, but it never got off the ground because... I don't know why. :-) It would be a good bridge to span gaps, I think. If I had a choice, I would be dealing with many things with a browser instead of by email. It's a matter of choice.

Michael Maranda wrote:
I've had it in my mind for sometime that the email-Grail with regard to
listservs is a set-up where the community of list-users could interact with
the mail-content via multiple means… and all remain one community without
need of drastic change of their habits.
Some people like to manage their online group interactions via email, others
in forums and other browser based interactions… such as wikis or rss feeds
off of blogs.

How far are we from being able to do this?  What are the best packages and
set-ups that do this or approximate this?

To be clear: my minimal image is a listserv-forum hybrid that the users can
interact with via email and reply or by direct posting to the forum in a
browser…. With options for privacy, and possibility of public archiving or
delayed public archiving, and all the other features a moderator or
listwoner might want for management of the group/list?

I am aware of GroupServer as one example, and I know that the eDemocracy
folks have been relying upon their model.  (I'd be glad to hear of their
experience, and others)

Are there other models?  Where does Drupal stand in relation to this
functionality?  How hard is it to implement?

Michael Maranda
President, The Association For Community Networking (AFCN)
http://www.afcn.org
Executive Director, CTCNet Chicago Chapter
http://www.ctcnetchicago.org
Co-Chair, Illinois Community Technology Coalition (ilCTC)
http://www.ilctc.org

Taran Rampersad
Presently in: San Fernando, Trinidad and Tobago
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Looking for contracts/work!
http://www.knowprose.com/node/9786

New!: http://www.OpenDepth.com