A project which has paid much attention to all the other (non-technology) factors is the Village knowledge Centre project of M S Swaminathan Research Foundation, largely supported by IDRC. It is a holistic project aiming to achieve all round rural development in which ICTs do play a part.

Arun
[Subbiah Arunachalam]

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dave A. Chakrabarti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: "The Digital Divide Network discussion group" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, April 08, 2006 10:17 AM
Subject: Re: [DDN] $100 laptop includes WiFi

The ability to mesh network was included in this laptop's specs from the beginning, if I remember correctly. We've discussed this topic to death...I really don't see anything very new in Negropointe's work so far. I'll be more inclined to think well of the project if it's implemented in a suitable fashion...with decent levels of support (hardware, software, and networking), wireless internet infrastructure, internet backhaul equipment and upstream bandwidth procurement at affordable costs (and paid by whom?), initiatives to train and support teachers and content creators in developing nations, etc. Otherwise, I don't really see the point. Haven't generations of experiences proven that throwing technology at a problem accomplishes nothing? This project seems to allocate an undue amount of funding towards technology, with little or no thought for all of the other factors that create a successful community technology movement.

 Dave.

-------------------
Dave A. Chakrabarti
Projects Coordinator
CTCNet Chicago
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
(708) 919 1026

Cindy Lemcke-Hoong wrote:
Here is an followed-up article on the $100 laptop for every child. I found it on the OpenSpectrum.info website. http://www.volweb.cz/horvitz/os-info/news-feb06-017.html

The interesting part of the news, for me, is the addition of WiFi, and this sentence below.

Some of Negroponte's MIT associates are also following him to his OLPC non-profit to assist, which speaks even more highly of this highly-regarded initiative.

Cindy