Stephen Snow wrote:
Phil, et. al.,

I wonder why, if microsoft has a hand in manipulating barnes & noble offerings, so many LINUX books are available at B&N? Seems to me that would be a much greater threat than openoffice. And what about PlayStation 2 tips & tricks? The list actually could go on a bit. OpenOffice seems more like a gnat to the Linux Africanized bee. In my opinion.

Steve Snow
I think it boils down to 'What Geeks Buy'. Publishers are not trying to bridge anything, they try to produce books that people with disposable income will buy. I can *want* all sorts of books on the shelves, but in the end the market has a heavy hand in saying what gets published. Just to keep everyone on their toes - remember a few people are releasing their books under Creative Commons licenses as well, and that they make a free version available on the internet.

So what I don't get here in the hyperbole - and remember, I get painted as a FOSS advocate by both sides of the fence - what I don't get is why these books aren't being released in a similar fashion? The answer to that question is what the answer to the OpenOffice.org book is. And if anyone knows that answer - don't tell anyone, start your own publishing company. :-)

--
Taran Rampersad
Presently in: San Fernando, Trinidad and Tobago

Always looking for contracts!
http://www.knowprose.com/node/9786

New!: http://www.OpenDepth.com
http://www.knowprose.com