grauzone wrote:
hasen wrote:
Walter Bright wrote:
http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/82ck4/digitalmars_d_now_open_source/

http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/82cgp/new_release_of_the_d_programming_language_now/

Wow there's a big fuss over there about it not being /really/ open source,

To us, this doesn't really matter. The important thing is that we can build the compiler itself, and can debug it if it craps up (which happens often, sorry Walter). For example, now we might be able to find out on which piece of code exactly it segfaults when compiling. Oh, and remember the libc issues. Now users affected by this problem can compile their own binary.

When we want a completely free compiler for ideological reasons or for unrestricted redistribution, there's still LDC. LDC connects the free (GPL'ed) frontend with the free LLVM backend.

Also, I thought open source != free software.

Correct. Those guys don't know what open source is, apparently. And it's free, too.

BTW, I think it's legal to distribute patches. As long as digitalmars.com stays online, you can distribute an updated compiler, just by telling everyone to download the code from digitalmars, then apply the patches. This would allow development to continue if Walter was captured by Martians.
So I don't think the license is very restrictive at all.

Can you explain (to the ignorant likes of me) what is constraining you from changing the license?