Leandro Lucarella wrote:
Walter Bright, el 12 de mayo a las 09:40 me escribiste:
Tomas Lindquist Olsen wrote:
Is there a reason for the missing announcement ?
Yes, I sent it to people who'd asked for a prerelease so they could
check their builds against it.

I think a better way to do prereleases is to do a "full" release but mark
it as a release candidate.

For example, make a DMD 1.045rc release. Wait a week, if nobody complains,
release DMD 1.045. If somebody complains, fix the bug, make a DMD
1.045rc2, etc (normally the final would be the same as the rc, and there
should be very rare cases where a rc2+ would be needed). Maybe it's
a little more work, but I'm sure the prerelease will get a lot more
testing than a hidden release and people won't get confused thinking that
something that is in the website ready for download and looks like a final
release, really is a "hidden prerelease".

Anyways, I think pre-releasing is great and it's better to have it this
way than not having them at all.

-rc is good when you have long release cycles. It isn't appropriate for dmd, which has very short release cycles.

If dmd had public source control, we could set up continuous integration for it that will, for instance, run dstress and attempt to compile the latest release of various common libraries. Then Walter can just check its results when he wants to do a release -- depending on how long that takes to run.