Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
Nick Sabalausky wrote:
I assume then that you've looked at something lke C#'s checked/unchecked scheme and someone's (I forget who) idea of expanding that to something like unchecked(overflow, sign)? What was wrong with those sorts of things?

An unchecked-based approach was not on the table. Our focus was more on checking things properly, instead of over-checking and then relying on "unchecked" to disable that.

We also should be careful not to turn D into a "bondage and discipline" language that nobody will use unless contractually forced to.